Following the destruction of the University of Alabama campus during the American Civil War, a new Quad emerged in the late 19th and early 20th centuries The first building to be built on the campus was Woods Hall, completed in 1868
A growing Tuscaloosa was chosen in 1825 as a replacement to the state capitol at Cahaba. The new state capitol building was designed by W.M. Nichols in 1826. All materials for the building were local. The first session of the legislature was held there in 1829. Tuscaloosa served as the home for the state government from 1826 until 1846. As the eastern section of the state grew, legislators decided to move the capitol to the middle of the state at Montgomery on the Alabama River.