On top of the highest hill in Lisbon sits St. George’s Castle. The area is called the Alfama. The castle started out as a 5th century Visigothic fort. Then the Moors came and built the castle. In 1147 Dom Afonso Henriques expelled the Moors and the kings or Portugal lived here until the 16th century. A lot of the castle was destroyed during the great earthquake of 1755.