Anemona | She Changes by Janet Echelman The sculpture, made of net, was inaugurated on the 22nd December and is already called “giant anemone”. It was the chosen monument (on the Polis Programme) to honour the local fishermen, that valiantly sail, out in the sea. Its splendour turns it into Matosinhos’ new visit card. It is also both a national and an international reference.
Mercado de Matosinhos | Built between 1936 and 1946, this market is an icon for this area of the city, located next to Leixões Port. It's all made in light concrete. It remains almost intact since it's first appearance.
Matosinhos is renowned for its gastronomy. By lunch or dinner time, you start thinking about the old quarters in Matosinhos or Leça da Palmeira. It is an irresistible calling to our senses that you will satisfy in exquisite restaurants or in simple and informal taverns. In Matosinhos eating is, for everybody, a motto for quality and excellence.
"Paços do Concelho" building it is a reference in the Portuguese architectonical creation. An emblematical building, it conjugates space functionality with tuneful volumetry of its modern lines. The integration of the trareferencedicional materials. This architect is also responsible for the construction of the new civic area, by this building.
Santuário do Bom Jesus de Matosinhos Its construction, funded by the University of Coimbra, was started in 1559 by João de Ruão and completed in 1579 by Tomé Velho. The original Renaissance temple was expanded and renovated in 1736, by Nicolau Nasoni, particularly the baroque facade and the gilded woodwork interior decoration.
The house belonged to the architect Álvaro Siza Vieira family and was acquired in 2007 by the Municipality of Matosinhos., in order to receive the CDAS - Documentation Center Álvaro Siza. Tuesday to Saturday: 9h30 - 12h30 and 14h30 - 18h00. Closed on Sundays and public holidays. For marking group visits or information: T: +351 22 240 46 63. M: +351 93 330 16 22 email@example.com
Sr. de Matosinhos | Crucified Christ The sumptuous main is carved in golden wood and is the central piece of a niche with an image of a crucified Christ (dated from the XII / XIIIth century). It’s a two meters high sculpture in hollow wood, very interesting: its left eye looks at Heaven and the right eye to the Earth, in a clear symbiosis between God and Men.